Monday, January 10, 2011

A Reaction to Blog Prompt 1

For my first Blog Prompt I decided to read Megan Reardon's interview about blogging. It struck me how many followers one can get by just focusing on one topic that appeals to a mass of people. I have my own Tumblr blog on top of this one, and while I have a small following, it's nowhere near the following some get. *If you're interested you should check it out but there is some crude humor so be warned.* The Tumblr's that do get a large following are usually the subject specific blogs such as: fan blogs, fashion blogs, or celeb specific blogs.

I guess I could get a better following by being more specific, but as its my personal blog, I just post what I like, which goes across many different areas of interest. I can relate to what Megan says about a blog being a place for future references of things I'm doing daily or what to keep record of. I post videos I want to show someone later, or funny pictures I can look at later if I need a bit of cheering.

Anyway, I don't think much can be learned from reading about WHY people blog. While it's interesting in some aspects, I think it's more interesting to think about why people READ blogs.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you use your own blog just for more personal uses (at least that is what I got from this blog). I actually started one myself a while ago but I was not very sure of how I should actually go about blogging so i guess i did learn a little from reading about why people blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I just looked at your other blog. That looks amazing! I love the green dance off!!! I think it is interesting that the article you selected talked about being more specific about what you want to blog, and focus on one subject, because the article that I read was exactly opposite. He said that he writes about whatever is interesting to him, and he have so many followers. That's my idea too, I think we need to write about different subjects and not focus on one, eventhough focuing on one will make you expert in that subject!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andie: You make a great point. I started my personal blog and was reluctant to go in any direction. It's much like writing a novel. You feel like you should know where you're going but oftentimes things just sorta happen. I guess it is a good idea to learn WHY people blog to try and understand what your reasons maybe...hmmm

    Minoo: Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my Tumblr! The green dance off is actually from "It's Always Sunny in Philly." If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it!

    I guess if one's interesting enough in their personal blogs, you will get followers no matter what.

    ReplyDelete